Up Next…Several speakers on Social Media Trends!
How PBS Uses Social Media (especially Facebook) to Reach “Viewers Like You” //Kevin Dando
Kevin Dando discussed how his company uses Facebook to attract new and current business. Here are some notes from the Facebook “Like Drive” they had:
- similar to a pledge drive
- every day for a week they posted a classic moment and had people comment on it and spread the word
- if certain goals were hit then they would post exclusive content
- 3 posts per day: 1st – content, 2nd – reminder, 3rd – video when goal was hit
- Stats were incredible
PBS asked people what they wanted to see on Facebook and had a good response. The first response to a Facebook engagement question usually sets the tone on how the post will be received. They utilize features that allow only certain cities to see the content. This feature has interesting responses from those who are targeted based on the location that Facebook sees, especially if their current city is not their home city.
Social Media: View from Main Street – Insights from Small Business //Jeff Revoy
Jeff Revoy discussed how social media is now going mainstream at this point and even older generations are participating. Love it or Hate it! Twitter was almost a 50/50 split between those who love it or hate it! Visit icontact.com/blog to look at the results from their survey.
Why isn’t every business using social media?
- Lack of time
- Unsure how to measure/ ROI
- Lack of knowledge of social media.
Social media is not a fad! Don’t throw out what you are doing but evolve it. Social media can level the playing field, especially for businesses with a small marketing budget.
The Art of Engagement: Why Your 20-Year-Old Intern Probably Isn’t a Community Manager // Angela Connorhttp://www.mediatwopointoh.com/wp-admin/post-new.php?post_type=post
If you build it, will they come? Angela Connor discussed how you can’t be a community manager just by having a lot of Facebook followers.
- Focus on the members – draw people in and keep them
- Provide value – here only information
- Listen and respond
- Repurpose and remix – use and reuse content
- Make it easy for everyone – “Lurkers are huge”, have things that people can do without registering
Community managers have power and can make a difference. Why would people participate in my community? Think about what sustains your community.
Angela’s Qualifications for a Successful Community Manager:
- A Thick Skin
- A Personality
- WORK EXPERIENCE
- Interpersonal Skills
- An Even Temper
- Common Sense
- WORK EXPERIENCE
- An Interest in People and Continuous Learning
- WORK EXPERIENCE
- Genuine Love for What You Do
- Willingness to Contribute
Know your goal! Know who you are talking to!
Monetizing Social: Defining Sustainable Models for the Maturing Social Web// Rogelio (Ro) Choy
2009: “Facebook and Twitter will always be crappy businesses” – Anonymous General Partner quote
The Business of Social Media was not around in 2009 but now it is here! Social media is a huge market and will continue to grow. According to Ro, audience size and engagement win with social media. Social display advertising is a huge market financially.
Keys to Success from several categories:
- Don’t Punch the Monkey
- The More the Merrier
- Hook on Achievements
- Charge the Lazy
- Thinking = Bad
- Social = Lower CPU
- Gen Y-Z Plays
- Gen X Pays
- Creating World-Class Social Media Campaigns | Internet Summit 2011
- Integrating Social Media Into Your Search & Mobile Marketing | Internet Summit 2011
- The Future of Digital Media & Marketing | Internet Summit 2011
- What are the trends in social media marketing?
- Social Ecommerce | Internet Summit 2010