A few weeks ago, Sprout Social reached out to us to try out their tool for a review. We signed up for their free 30-day trial and played around with it using our Media Two accounts. This post is a review of the tool.
What is Sprout Social?
Sprout Social is an all-in-one tool that combines social media monitoring, response capabilities, and reporting. It includes the following 8 sections:
- Dashboard – a summary of clicks, follower demographics, engagement and influence scores, and more.
- Inbox – a list of all mentions, check-ins and follows as they come.
- Twitter Feed – a Twitter application that allows you to see updates, create lists and flag messages for followup.
- Contacts – a place to organize all your social connections, add notes, set reminders and track complete communication history.
- Smart Search – a monitoring feature that helps you find targeted customers using location, interests and profile information based on search terms.
- Locations Manager – a feature that keeps you up to date on check-ins, including alerts and analytics on influential customers, first-time visitors, busiest days and more.
- Schedule – a feature that allows you to schedule posts to your social networks, whether one time or recurring.
- Reports – a set of custom reports for Twitter, Google Analytics and Facebook fan pages.
Sprout Social offers one place to do most of the social media management tasks.
- The searches include web and social mentions of keywords, and business search – which you can use to do competitive analysis.
- The reports use custom date ranges and can be branded, and allow for data export.
- The scheduling feature will suggest optimum times to post based on responses you’ve received on previous posts.
One cool feature is that you can set tweets to post based on your RSS feed so that a tweet will go out when a blog post is published. This is among all other Twitter features. Anything you can do on Twitter, you can do on Sprout Social – including respond to Foursquare and Gowalla check-ins.
Unfortunately, Sprout Social doesn’t offer any sentiment analysis at this time. Nor does it offer branded link shortening or URL tracking parameters.
Overall, this is a great product, especially since the business account is only $49/month (personal account is $9/month). For us, we need some of the features offered by other tools that aren’t present in Sprout Social. However, I’d recommend it to anyone wanting to do some discovery on their brand or a competitor’s brand. It can pull in a great deal of information, as well as deliver some useful reporting.