- Both are highly creative industries that require true passion from their employees.
- Sometimes we literally live at work, just like the circus ensemble.
- Beautifully orchestrated performances aren’t just for the circus – new business pitches require lots of practice and orchestration to make the “performance” come off without a hitch.
- The performers are a lot like the creative departments of an agency. The creative department is the sexy, middle-of-the-ring act.
- Media compares to the conductor of the train (the one that the circus lives on in the book). The media team strategically selects the best locations for the ads to appear, much like the conductor selects the locations for the city-to-city tour.
- Great advertising campaigns can transform a company’s image and ability to hit sales goals – so much so that it can seem like magic – just like the circus can transform an empty field into a fantasy land.
- There is a need for constant training – just like the performers and animals must be trained, so must advertising professionals – especially in the digital space in which the industry is advancing so rapidly that agencies are clamoring to keep up with new technologies.
- A lot of work goes on behind the scenes. The circus performance is much like the advertising campaign once it’s running – it’s the product of a lot of preparation.
I’m looking forward to seeing the movie soon to keep my thoughts going on how I work at a circus. What a wonderful and exciting industry to be a part of!
Photo by def110